Paul McNeil was instructed by the mother of Michael in connection with a claim arising out of development and management of a necrotising tissue infection of his face.
At the age of four months, Michael was admitted to hospital with signs of lethargy and dehydration. He was of low weight and had non specific immuno-deficiency. He remained in hospital for twelve days where he had naso-gastric feeds.
He was followed up as a out-patient with “a rather odd eczema”. By February 1995 the eczema was infected and Michael still remained lethargic and of low weight. Blood tests indicated he had a significant neutropenia.
Subsequently Michael became increasingly unwell with a chest infection, vomiting and diarrhoea and on 5 March was referred to the hospital.
It was noted that Michael was seeing the dermatologist as an out-patient. Antibiotics were stopped and he was discharged home.
Michael re-attended on 8 March where he was noted to be dehydrated and weak with a high temperature. He was almost moribund and the crash team was called to resuscitate him.
Following discussions with haematologist Michael was treated as a febrile neutropenic and prescribed specific antibiotics.
Nevertheless, Michael remained very ill and by the 16 March the condition of his face had deteriorated there being extensive necrotic lesions involving the centre of his face, both eyes, nasal bridge and cheeks. He was transferred to Great Ormond Street on 18 March 1995.
Although Michael continued to make improvement he was left with a very severe disability of his face. We instructed a microbiologist and paediatrician who confirmed our initial advice that the hospital were negligent in failing to take Michael’s condition much more seriously at the beginning.
We alleged that if appropriate treatment had been given the infection of the facial soft tissue would have been controlled and would not have progressed in the necrosis.
The action was strenuously denied by the hospital primarily on the grounds that earlier treatment would have made little difference to the outcome. The action was finally settled (and received approval of the Court) for £200,000 in May 2002.
- You can speak to any member of our Medical Negligence team on freephone 0800 358 3848
- e-Mail us at email@example.com or,
- Complete our short enquiry form.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
The psychology behind admitting a fatal mistake
Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine believe that better training in the social psychology behind how we're affected by making mistakes can help doctors to be more open when things go wrong.
Fundamental errors in midwives training risks the lives of more babies
The Times reported yesterday that during the inquest of baby Billy Wilson, who died at three-days old, the midwife in charge of Billy's mother, Carla, at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield did not know how to use the CTG machine.
Christina Gardiner highlights worrying similarities in baby death investigations
The number of baby deaths at the Countess of Chester Hospital draws worrying parallels with one of our own cases regarding substandard medical care provided at Watford General Hospital.
Surgeon Ian Paterson's case proves private hospitals need proper regulation
Following the conviction last month of rogue surgeon Ian Paterson, the Royal College of Surgeons has rightly called for a review of the way private hospitals are regulated.
The Sun reports on Keith Barrett's case of Richard Giles, who died after being electrocuted when his lorry hit 11,000 volt cables