Fieldfisher's Jonathan Zimmern has reached settlement for a man whose wife's died when medical staff at Chase Farm Hospital failed to notice her respiratory failure in October 2010.
55-year-old Mrs G, who enjoyed a busy family life, had been living with myasthenia gravis, a neurological condition which often affects the respiratory muscles for many years. Her condition was well managed by neurologists at the Royal Free Hospital.
At 4am on 27 October 2010, Mr G called an ambulance when his wife was experiencing trouble breathing. When she arrived at Chase Farm Hospital A&E, because of the risk of respiratory arrest, it was decided she needed non-invasive ventilation, a procedure which requires continuous nursing care.
Because the Intensive Care Unit was full, the consultant transferred Mrs G to a respiratory ward in the mistaken belief it had a nursing ratio of one nurse to two patients. In reality, the ratio was one nurse to seven patients. Ward staff had previously had their request for additional nursing support turned down.
Early the next morning, a nurse found Mrs G not breathing. The monitor she was connected to was not showing readings and had failed to alert the nurses to her condition. Mrs G was put on life support but tragically passed away five days later.
Mr G instructed Jonathan Zimmern to bring legal proceedings against the Barnet and Chase Farm Hospital's Trust. A respiratory physician and a neurologist brought onto the case asserted that the Trust had been negligent in the acute care it provided at Chase Farm Hospital.
The Trust disputed these findings and the case was subsequently heard at a four day inquest in April 2013.
The Coroner found that at some point after 7am, Mrs G's respiratory function had deteriorated and her heart had stopped. Because her nurse had six other patients to look after, Mrs G's arrest went unnoticed for several minutes and resuscitation was delayed by around 15 minutes. As a consequence of the delay, she suffered brain injury from which she never recovered.
The Coroner held that Mrs G should have been cared for on a High Dependency Unit and failure to do so was a serious failure on the part of the Trust. The hospital's machinery failed to alert the nursing staff to her arrest and there were not enough staff to provide the level of care required. This amounted to a failure to provide basic medical care to Mrs G.
The Trust subsequently admitted liability and in November 2015, Jonathan managed to secure a six figure settlement.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
The psychology behind admitting a fatal mistake
Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine believe that better training in the social psychology behind how we're affected by making mistakes can help doctors to be more open when things go wrong.
Fundamental errors in midwives training risks the lives of more babies
The Times reported yesterday that during the inquest of baby Billy Wilson, who died at three-days old, the midwife in charge of Billy's mother, Carla, at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield did not know how to use the CTG machine.
Christina Gardiner highlights worrying similarities in baby death investigations
The number of baby deaths at the Countess of Chester Hospital draws worrying parallels with one of our own cases regarding substandard medical care provided at Watford General Hospital.
Surgeon Ian Paterson's case proves private hospitals need proper regulation
Following the conviction last month of rogue surgeon Ian Paterson, the Royal College of Surgeons has rightly called for a review of the way private hospitals are regulated.
The Sun reports on Keith Barrett's case of Richard Giles, who died after being electrocuted when his lorry hit 11,000 volt cables