Mrs J had been taking calcium supplements following a thryroid gland removal over a number of years. In February 2011 she presented a prescription to the pharmacy at her local Tesco. The prescription was for 0.25mg tablets of Alfacalcidol. She received 39 boxes of the tablets and had been instructed to take seven tablets per day
Mrs J started taking the tablets at the beginning of April 2011 after her previous supply of medication had been completed. Shortly thereafter she became confused, was unable to concentrate and needed to drink a lot of water. Three months later, Mrs J vomited, and continued to do so frequently for approximately one month. She remained in bed throughout this time. She was very confused and was hallucinating. She attended her GP and was prescribed an anti-emetic. On one occasion, an ambulance was called to assess her.
On 1 August 2011 Mrs J collapsed. An ambulance was called again and she was admitted to the Royal London Hospital. Intravenous fluids were commenced. Her calcium levels were noted to be 4.79mmol/l. She was transferred to Barts and the London NHS Trust two days later where she remained in hospital, receiving intravenous fluids, until 7 August 2011. When she was discharged from hospital she continued to feel dizzy and her head felt fuzzy.
On 22 August 2011 Mrs J was readmitted to the Barts and the London NHS Trust. Intravenous fluids were recommenced. On 25 August 2011 it was discovered that Mrs J had been given 1mg Alfacalcidol tablets instead of 0.25mg tablets. Because of this prescription error she had taken around 420 tablets of the incorrect dosage. She required further treatment in hospital before being discharged on 31 August 2011.
Mrs J sustained hypercalcaemia leading to acute renal failure, causing dehydration, vomiting, confusion and hallucinations. She had to be admitted to hospital on two occasions for intravenous fluids.
After discharge from hospital, Mrs J continued to suffer from tiredness, fatigue and poor concentration. She had to take a month off work and thereafter struggled with the physical requirements of her job necessitating a phased return. She continued to feel tired and lethargic until the end of 2013. During this period her prescription for Alfacalcidol was changed on several occasions to achieve the appropriate dosage again. She was extremely tired, struggled to manage housework and shopping and was restricted in her social life.
We wrote to Tesco shortly after receiving instructions from Mrs J, and the Defendant admitted liability in the matter. Proceedings were issued and we were able to enter into judgement, with damages to be assessed. After a short period of negotiation, we were able to successfully settle Mrs J's case.
Mrs J's daughter said after the case was settled:
"Mum and I just wanted to thank you once again for all the work and support……in dealing with our case, we really appreciate everything you have done."
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
The psychology behind admitting a fatal mistake
Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine believe that better training in the social psychology behind how we're affected by making mistakes can help doctors to be more open when things go wrong.
Fundamental errors in midwives training risks the lives of more babies
The Times reported yesterday that during the inquest of baby Billy Wilson, who died at three-days old, the midwife in charge of Billy's mother, Carla, at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield did not know how to use the CTG machine.
Christina Gardiner highlights worrying similarities in baby death investigations
The number of baby deaths at the Countess of Chester Hospital draws worrying parallels with one of our own cases regarding substandard medical care provided at Watford General Hospital.
Surgeon Ian Paterson's case proves private hospitals need proper regulation
Following the conviction last month of rogue surgeon Ian Paterson, the Royal College of Surgeons has rightly called for a review of the way private hospitals are regulated.
The Sun reports on Keith Barrett's case of Richard Giles, who died after being electrocuted when his lorry hit 11,000 volt cables