Paul McNeil, head of our medical negligence department, pursued a claim for a 49 year old solicitor whose GP failed to diagnose a serious infection which went on to cause septicaemia, toxic shock syndrome and required admission to the Intensive Care Unit. The claim was settled against the GP for £1.2 million.
In May 2006 our client's then partner contacted his GP’s receptionist and explained that her partner was very unwell with chest pain, severe vomiting and breathlessness. Shortly afterwards the GP attended and diagnosed acute gastritis and also indicated that the patient may have peptic ulcer disease. He prescribed painkillers, antacids and indicated that the patient should call the NHS out of hours service if his condition worsened (this was disputed).
The GP telephoned our client's then partner at 6pm that evening. He prescribed an anti-sickness drug and said that he would see the patient the next day.
The patient remained at home on his own overnight and deteriorated significantly. His then partner telephoned the surgery at 8.15am and the GP immediately arranged admission to the Southampton General Hospital surgical ward.
We argued on his behalf that he should have been referred to hospital the day before and should have received a broad spectrum antibiotic which would have resulted in control of the septicaemia which had caused the toxic shock syndrome and the severe illness.
By the time he reached hospital our client was in a parlous state and he required admission to the Intensive Care Unit. He suffered multi organ failure and remained in intensive care for nearly three weeks. He was very ill and was unable to practice as a solicitor for more than one year.
We were instructed to pursue a medical negligence claim against the GP on the grounds that our client should have been referred to hospital by the GP urgently with a differential diagnosis of pneumonia or septicaemia. The potential diagnosis of peptic ulcer disease was incompatible with his symptoms and he should not have been sent to a surgical ward the next day.
Although liability was never admitted the GP’s advisers agreed to pay the sum of £1.2 million in compensation, the bulk of which was for loss of earnings. Our client was off work for one year and was no longer able to continue to work at his previous rate.
The case was pursued on a no win no fee basis.
For more information or if you believe that you may have a GP negligence claim, please do not hesitate to contact Paul McNeil on 020 7861 4019 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
Substantial recovery after a communication breakdown during tonsillectomy triggers a sickle cell crisis, ending in the death of a young girl
Mother requires hip replacement and 6 months in hospital after nursing failure at John Radcliffe Hospital
Damages for family of baby who died 2 days after birth following a series of failings by the United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust
Merton Council accepts liability for death of teacher who was exposed to asbestos in Mitcham's St Thomas of Canterbury Middle School
The Telegraph reports on the Bedside cot that's still on sale after death of seven-week-old baby Grace Roseman
The Sun reports on Jill Greenfield's case of Grace Roseman who was tragically killed by the“dangerous” Bednest cot in April last year