Fokhor Chowdhury was aged 52 when he died at home on 23 January 2012. He is survived by his wife and 4 children, the youngest of whom was only 5 at the time of his death.
On the evening of Saturday 21 January 2012, Fokhor collapsed at home with breathlessness and abdominal pain. His family dialled 999 and called for an ambulance. A 'Single Responder' paramedic attended, followed by an ambulance crew. They assessed Fokhor for an hour before advising him that his symptoms were secondary to gastric problems and he did not need to attend hospital. He was advised to take Gaviscon and attend his GP after the weekend if he needed to. He died in his living room 36 hours later.
The death was reported to the Coroner, who instructed a post mortem examination to be done. This identified that Fokhor had died from a heart attack.
His devastated family raised a complaint at his treatment, and the Trust completed an internal investigation. This was critical of the treatment Fokhor had received by the paramedics who attended.
- There had been a failure to carry out and document a more detailed assessment when the paramedics attended on 21 January 2012
- They should have taken him to hospital for treatment
- If he had been taken to hospital, a myocardial infarction (heart attack) would have been diagnosed, and he would have received treatment for the same (angioplasty)
- On the balance of probabilities, he would have survived the cardiac arrest and been discharged home
The Defendant admitted breach of duty and causation.
Proceedings were issued on 12 February 2016. Expert evidence was obtained and exchanged on life expectancy. Following lengthy negotiations, a claim was settled for a six figure sum.
An Approval Hearing was held in March 2017 to formalise part of the payment made on behalf of his youngest daughter, who is now still only aged 9.
After successfully concluding the case on behalf of Fokhor's family, Arti said, "This was the first time Mr Chowdhury had called an ambulance, and he put his faith in the paramedics who attended. They not only carried out an inadequate assessment, but dismissed his concerns to the extent that he was reluctant to call for help again when his symptoms persisted. His death could have been avoided if they had taken him to hospital, and he would still be here with his family today."
This case was featured in the Evening Standard - http://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/payout-for-widow-whose-husband-died-of-heart-attack-and-was-told-to-take-gaviscon-a3509786.html
- You can speak to any member of the Fieldfisher Personal Injury and Medical Negligence team on freephone 0800 358 3848
- e-Mail them at email@example.com
- Complete the short enquiry form.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
The psychology behind admitting a fatal mistake
Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine believe that better training in the social psychology behind how we're affected by making mistakes can help doctors to be more open when things go wrong.
Fundamental errors in midwives training risks the lives of more babies
The Times reported yesterday that during the inquest of baby Billy Wilson, who died at three-days old, the midwife in charge of Billy's mother, Carla, at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield did not know how to use the CTG machine.
Christina Gardiner highlights worrying similarities in baby death investigations
The number of baby deaths at the Countess of Chester Hospital draws worrying parallels with one of our own cases regarding substandard medical care provided at Watford General Hospital.
Surgeon Ian Paterson's case proves private hospitals need proper regulation
Following the conviction last month of rogue surgeon Ian Paterson, the Royal College of Surgeons has rightly called for a review of the way private hospitals are regulated.
The Sun reports on Keith Barrett's case of Richard Giles, who died after being electrocuted when his lorry hit 11,000 volt cables