Paul McNeil recovered more than £100,000 for a delay in treating William. The eleven year old was suffering from a diaghragmatic hernia, which caused injuries that resulted in his death.
On 30 January 1997, William was admitted to hospital as an acute emergency. He had been diagnosed at his local hospital as suffering from a diaphragmatic hernia, which had caused him considerable difficulties in breathing.
The hospital did not have an accident and emergency department and William was admitted directly to the ward, where he was immediately assessed by a nurse.
Unfortunately he was not seen by a senior doctor for over two hours. During this time his condition was deteriorating. The senior registrar who saw William correctly diagnosed his condition and set up intravenous fluid to correct the hypovolaemia. He thought that surgery was required urgently, but not immediately.
In the meantime at approximately 20:15 hours, he was seen by an anaesthetist on the ward who described William as “in extremis”. He was immediately taken into the anaesthetic room where he was stabilised. Some time later successful surgery took place to repair the hernia.
Unfortunately the delay in treating William resulted in him suffering from acute respiratory distress syndrome and with associated complications including infection, and neurological damage.
William remained in hospital for about six months. When he returned home he was dependent on oxygen, on his parents for all activities of daily living and suffered many chest infections.
At the time of the incident William was aged 11. He was unable to attend school and dependent on his mother for 24-hour care. Unfortunately on 1 November 2005, William died as a result of his injuries.
Proceedings had been issued by this time and the case had been fixed for trial for January 2006.
The hospital denied liability. It contended that there was no evidence of negligence, and even with earlier treatment there would have been no different outcome.
Following negotiations the matter was settled for £115,000 plus costs.
- You can speak to any member of our Medical Negligence team on freephone 0800 358 3848
- e-Mail us at email@example.com or,
- Complete our short enquiry form.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
Substantial recovery after a communication breakdown during tonsillectomy triggers a sickle cell crisis, ending in the death of a young girl
Mother requires hip replacement and 6 months in hospital after nursing failure at John Radcliffe Hospital
Damages for family of baby who died 2 days after birth following a series of failings by the United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust
Merton Council accepts liability for death of teacher who was exposed to asbestos in Mitcham's St Thomas of Canterbury Middle School
The Telegraph reports on the Bedside cot that's still on sale after death of seven-week-old baby Grace Roseman
The Sun reports on Jill Greenfield's case of Grace Roseman who was tragically killed by the“dangerous” Bednest cot in April last year