Mark Bowman represented the family of Gary Foster, a 27 year old cancer patient, at the inquest into his death. Gary, a graphic designer from Waltham Abbey in Essex, died after taking part in a government funded medical trial. He was suffering from testicular cancer and in the course of his treatment was, on seven occasions, given double the amount of chemotherapy he should have been prescribed.
The Coroner’s report found that Gary died as a result of lung damage caused by bleomycin toxicity and also as a result of the overdose of the bleomycin.
Gary was treated in University College London Hospitals NHS Trust (UCLH) after being diagnosed with testicular cancer. He was told that he had a 60% chance of survival and was offered a place on the medical trial which doctors told him would increase this. Gary and his family agreed to this believing his chances of survival would be greater and that he would receive a better level of care.
The trial, called TE23, was testing whether a combination of five existing chemotherapy drugs was better at treating testicular cancer than the standard treatment of three drugs. From June until mid-September 2007 he made regular trips to UCLH in central London, to receive the drugs. On seven occasions between July and September last year, he received 30,000 units of one of the drugs, bleomycin, instead of 15,000.
Gary eventually developed a dry cough, a symptom of lung damage, caused by bleomycin. The inquest heard that the cough should have been recognised by doctors and nurses as a warning sign that the bleomycin was damaging his lungs, however, despite the cough, he was given a final incorrect dose of bleomycin. Eventually he became so ill that he was transferred to intensive care. He died on 14th October 2007.
The Coroner’s report concluded that Gary died as a result of an accidental adverse healthcare event, caused by a prescribing error to which the set up of an electronic prescribing system contributed.
Mark Bowman represented Gary Foster’s family at the inquest. He is also representing the family in a medical negligence claim against UCLH. UCLH has been served with a letter of claim and a letter of response is awaited. The claim has been passed by UCLH to the NHS Litigation Authority.
Gary’s mother, Colleen Foster said:
“We were told by the hospital not to worry, that testicular cancer was curable and that taking part in this trial would further increase Gary’s chances of survival. Instead, the drugs that were supposed to save his life were killing him. An overdose gives the impression that it was a one-off. It was seven times. Every week my poor Gary was going into hospital, we thought he was getting better but, actually, he was being slowly poisoned and poisoned to death.”
“This tragic case highlights the potential dangers involved in any form of clinical trial. Such trials need to be set up, regulated, monitored and administered with the utmost scrutiny, to avoid others suffering the fatal consequences that befell Gary Foster.”
UCLH has suspended the TE23 trial.
This case received a lot of press and media interest. It was reported on BBC Evening News and ITV's London Tonight on 22 September. You can read about it in The Times, The Telegraph, BBC.
Contact Mark Bowman
For further information or if you believe you have a cancer claim, please contact Mark Bowman our medical negligence team. All enquiries are completely free of charge and we will investigate all funding options for you including legal aid and no win, no fee.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
The psychology behind admitting a fatal mistake
Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine believe that better training in the social psychology behind how we're affected by making mistakes can help doctors to be more open when things go wrong.
Fundamental errors in midwives training risks the lives of more babies
The Times reported yesterday that during the inquest of baby Billy Wilson, who died at three-days old, the midwife in charge of Billy's mother, Carla, at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield did not know how to use the CTG machine.
Christina Gardiner highlights worrying similarities in baby death investigations
The number of baby deaths at the Countess of Chester Hospital draws worrying parallels with one of our own cases regarding substandard medical care provided at Watford General Hospital.
Surgeon Ian Paterson's case proves private hospitals need proper regulation
Following the conviction last month of rogue surgeon Ian Paterson, the Royal College of Surgeons has rightly called for a review of the way private hospitals are regulated.
The Sun reports on Keith Barrett's case of Richard Giles, who died after being electrocuted when his lorry hit 11,000 volt cables