Jonathan Zimmern recovered damages for Martin whose wife, Laura, died after a malignant melanoma went undiagnosed for nine months.
When she died, Laura was aged 55 and had just celebrated her 28th wedding anniversary with Martin. They had two grown up sons together. We successfully argued that had she been diagnosed earlier, she would probably have survived.
In January 2005 Laura noticed a mole on her groin that had increased in size. She visited her GP and explained to him that the mole had recently grown and become itchy. Her GP urgently referred her for examination and she was seen at St Andrew’s Hospital, part of the Newham University NHS Trust, 10 days later.
A Consultant examined Laura and came to the conclusion that her mole was benign. In fact, he was wrong. The mole was cancerous and should have been removed urgently.
The mole continued to grow and by November 2005 was bleeding on contact and associated with a hard lump in Laura’s groin. She was referred back to hospital where she was seen by a Specialist Registrar in dermatology.
The Registrar carried out a biopsy of the mole under local anaesthetic and discovered that in fact it was a malignant melanoma (or skin cancer). Surgery was performed to remove the cancerous cells and Laura also received chemotherapy to treat secondary cancer that was found to have spread to her lungs.
Unfortunately, and not-withstanding the aggressive treatment, the cancer continued to progress and Laura died on 25 August 2007.
Laura’s husband pursued a claim for medical negligence against St Andrew’s Hospital and the Consultant who had originally examined Laura and advised that the mole was not malignant.
We obtained expert medical evidence to show that the melanoma should have been diagnosed in early 2005 and had treatment been provided then, Laura would have had a more than a 50% chance of survival The hospital never admitted liability but Jonathan Zimmern settled the claim for £170,000. The claim was taken on a “no win, no fee” basis.
- You can speak to any member of our Medical Negligence team on freephone 0800 358 3848
- e-Mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or,
- Complete our short enquiry form.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
Fundamental errors in midwives training risks the lives of more babies
The Times reported yesterday that during the inquest of baby Billy Wilson, who died at three-days old, the midwife in charge of Billy's mother, Carla, at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield did not know how to use the CTG machine.
Christina Gardiner highlights worrying similarities in baby death investigations
The number of baby deaths at the Countess of Chester Hospital draws worrying parallels with one of our own cases regarding substandard medical care provided at Watford General Hospital.
Surgeon Ian Paterson's case proves private hospitals need proper regulation
Following the conviction last month of rogue surgeon Ian Paterson, the Royal College of Surgeons has rightly called for a review of the way private hospitals are regulated.
To prevent mistakes, the government must not ignore the stats on birth injuries
The alarming figures revealed by the BBC this week detailing the number of mistakes routinely occurring in maternity wards around the country must be taken very seriously by the Government.
The Sun reports on Keith Barrett's case of Richard Giles, who died after being electrocuted when his lorry hit 11,000 volt cables