In August 2006, the family’s third child died as a result of an inherited muscle wasting condition called Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) (although this went unrecognised at the time).
The baby was just four months old. Following his untimely death, genetic testing was carried out at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford to establish the precise cause of his demise and to counsel the parents on the potential risks of future pregnancies.
The relevant material was obtained but the analysis of the results was carried out on the false assumption that the parents were first cousins. Mistakenly, it was concluded that the genetic results did not indicate that the deceased child had SMA when in fact he did.
In April 2007, the parents were informed that: “All these tests do not exclude the possibility of it still being Spinal Muscular Atrophy or SMARDI 100% but it makes it very unlikely.”
Crucially they were told that there was only a 1 in 4 chance that a subsequent baby would be born with a similar condition and that there was no available diagnostic testing pre-natally. Obviously, the parents were very comforted by this advice and decided
to try for another child.
The following pregnancy was difficult for the mother as she was very worried (there being no genetic testing) but ultimately trusted the geneticist’s advice. Their son was born in the Summer of 2008 and it soon became clear that he was suffering from a similar condition to his deceased brother. Genetic testing performed at another hospital confirmed that he suffered from SMA.
The Oxford Radcliffe Hospital immediately instituted an inquiry and quickly established that SMA was present in the younger, deceased child and it was noted in a letter to the parents that: “Potentially with further investigations, the diagnosis of SMA would have been confirmed, and we could then have arranged for you to be seen to discuss pre-implantation genetic diagnosis prior to another pregnancy.”
Sadly, the youngest child died on 23 February 2009.
A claim was madeon behalf of the family by solicitor Paul McNeil, for the “wrongful birth” of the youngest child on the basis of negligence as his SMA would have been diagnosed by pre genetic testing. In addition a claim was made for the psychiatric damage suffered by both parents.
Soon after we were instructed, Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals NHS Trust admitted liability and the only issue was the amount of damages. The mother in particular had suffered very significantly and her condition at the time of the settlement was characterised by anxiety, depression, anhedonia, disruption of sleep, appetite, libido and reduced mental and physical energy. She suffered from a major depressive episode of moderate severity and had not been able to return to work. Her prognosis was guarded.
Proceedings were issued on 7 February 2012 and the case was eventually settled for a six figure sum in March 2012.
- You can speak to any member of our Medical Negligence team on freephone 0800 358 3848
- e-Mail us at email@example.com or,
- Complete our short enquiry form.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
Substantial recovery after a communication breakdown during tonsillectomy triggers a sickle cell crisis, ending in the death of a young girl
Mother requires hip replacement and 6 months in hospital after nursing failure at John Radcliffe Hospital
Damages for family of baby who died 2 days after birth following a series of failings by the United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust
Merton Council accepts liability for death of teacher who was exposed to asbestos in Mitcham's St Thomas of Canterbury Middle School
The Telegraph reports on the Bedside cot that's still on sale after death of seven-week-old baby Grace Roseman
The Sun reports on Jill Greenfield's case of Grace Roseman who was tragically killed by the“dangerous” Bednest cot in April last year