Richard Earle recovered £130,000 from St George's Hospital in an accident and emergency negligence claim for Matthew's family. Matthew died following a delay in treatment at the hospital, which he had attended because he was having difficulty breathing.
On 16 November 2002 Matthew began to suffer from a sore throat and by 22:00 hours he had difficulty breathing. He was taken by ambulance to St George's Hospital where he was seen by a nurse in A&E.
The nurse failed to refer for appropriate treatment. Matthew rapidly deteriorated and collapsed. There was a delay in commencing resuscitation and sadly, Matthew was pronounced dead just after midnight at the age of 51.
Matthew had been categorised as non-urgent and directed to the minor injuries area. Significantly, the nurse failed to act on the fact that the ambulance crew noted Matthew’s airway as being partially obstructed.
During his admission, Matthew was unable to swallow analgesia. By the time he was seen by the specialist registrar, Matthew was so distressed that he quickly became unconscious and suffered a cardiac arrest.
Resuscitation by bag, mask and CPR was commenced and an anaesthetist was summoned. The anaesthetist had not been informed of the arrest and therefore the urgency and there was a significant delay before he arrived. Attempts to resuscitate Matthew were unsuccessful.
In fact Matthew had been suffering from upper airway obstruction caused by epiglottitis and he died as a result of the unrelieved consequences of this condition.
Richard Earle pursued an accident and emergency negligence claim on behalf of Matthew's surviving family.
Following receipt of positive reports from an A&E consultant and a cardiologist, a letter of claim was sent in July 2005.
In the letter of response the trust admitted liability, leaving only the amount of compensation in issue.
An offer made by the defendant of £75,000 was rejected.
Matthew had a previous history of hypertension and although he probably would have worked until full retirement age he had a reduced life expectancy of around 10 years.
Proceedings were issued in the High Court on 7 November 2005.
At this time we made an offer to settle the claim in the sum of £130,000, which was accepted.
The case was initially privately funded superseded by Legal Aid subject to a contribution paid by Matthew's mother, which was returned to her in full upon recovery of costs from the defendants.
- You can speak to any member of our Medical Negligence team on freephone 0800 358 3848
- e-Mail us at email@example.com or,
- Complete our short enquiry form.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
The psychology behind admitting a fatal mistake
Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine believe that better training in the social psychology behind how we're affected by making mistakes can help doctors to be more open when things go wrong.
Fundamental errors in midwives training risks the lives of more babies
The Times reported yesterday that during the inquest of baby Billy Wilson, who died at three-days old, the midwife in charge of Billy's mother, Carla, at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield did not know how to use the CTG machine.
Christina Gardiner highlights worrying similarities in baby death investigations
The number of baby deaths at the Countess of Chester Hospital draws worrying parallels with one of our own cases regarding substandard medical care provided at Watford General Hospital.
Surgeon Ian Paterson's case proves private hospitals need proper regulation
Following the conviction last month of rogue surgeon Ian Paterson, the Royal College of Surgeons has rightly called for a review of the way private hospitals are regulated.
The Sun reports on Keith Barrett's case of Richard Giles, who died after being electrocuted when his lorry hit 11,000 volt cables