David Caminal from Barcelona had flown to the UK to work on the production of a specialist commercial. Mr Caminal was a producer of commercials in Spain and worked on high profile campaigns for big named brands. He has worked with individuals such as Elle McPherson and Messi (footballer) in such campaigns and was regularly sought out for this work but leading worldwide brands.
On Saturday 19th July, David visited The New Conservatory Bar, in Central Leeds to have a beer with friends. David was offered a taster beer, as he was not familiar with the different brands. He was mistakenly served with a glass containing a highly corrosive substance, caustic soda.
It is understood that the systems at the bar were being cleaned and that this strong cleaning fluid had inadvertently been served with the beer.
David drank some of the beer and it was immediately clear that something dreadful had happened. An ambulance took him straight to Leeds General Infirmary and he was in the Intensive Care Unit for a number of days. There were serious concerns at this point that he may not survive.
David remained in Leeds hospital for 3 weeks under very close observation. His brother, girlfriend and sister all flew over to be with him, although the family speak very little English.
Route to the case
Jill Greenfield was recommended to the family by a UK insurer who had knowledge of Jill's work.
Key initial steps
Jill was, within the first 2 weeks, able to secure an interim payment, which enabled David to be flown by air ambulance back to Barcelona, to be with his young daughter and family. Jennifer Buchanan worked closely with Jill to organise this medical transport. Neither David nor his family could speak any English and David was clearly distraught to be away from his daughter. Getting him back to Barcelona once medically stabilised was therefore a key objective.
David has undergone various procedures since his return to Barcelona and has obviously suffered devastating internal injuries. He continues to need treatment and will undergo further oesophageal surgery in the future. At present he is having regular procedures.
A complex analysis of the Claimants loss of income/business has begun.
This case will have key implications for safety standards in Bars and we understand that new and clear guidance as to the use of Caustic Soda in such situations has now been put in place and reinforced. A Prosecution is ongoing.
All enquiries are completely free of charge and we will investigate all funding options for you including no win, no fee.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
Fundamental errors in midwives training risks the lives of more babies
The Times reported yesterday that during the inquest of baby Billy Wilson, who died at three-days old, the midwife in charge of Billy's mother, Carla, at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield did not know how to use the CTG machine.
Christina Gardiner highlights worrying similarities in baby death investigations
The number of baby deaths at the Countess of Chester Hospital draws worrying parallels with one of our own cases regarding substandard medical care provided at Watford General Hospital.
Surgeon Ian Paterson's case proves private hospitals need proper regulation
Following the conviction last month of rogue surgeon Ian Paterson, the Royal College of Surgeons has rightly called for a review of the way private hospitals are regulated.
Fieldfisher wins Personal Injury Team of the Year award 2017
The team here at Fieldfisher have won Personal Injury Team of the Year at the 2017 Solicitors Journal Awards.
The Sun reports on Keith Barrett's case of Richard Giles, who died after being electrocuted when his lorry hit 11,000 volt cables