An inquest into the death of a pensioner who died on his 75th birthday has concluded that he died from an illness related to asbestos diseases, despite having stopped work at a colliery more than four decades earlier.
Derby Coroners' Court heard that Colin Webster worked at the National Coal Board from the age of 18, but left to become a forklift driver in the 1960s.
Mr Webster spent 12 years working at the Coppice Colliery, in Shipley, the inquest heard.
It was there that he was in "daily contact with asbestos" - making checks on pipes lagged with asbestos in the boiler house.
In 2008 Mr Webster developed a cough, and was then diagnosed with malignant mesothelioma, a cancer caused by exposure to asbestos.
He died on November 1 - his 75th birthday - at the Royal Derby Hospital.
Recording a verdict of death from industrial disease, Coroner Dr Robert Hunter said: "I'm satisfied there was asbestos exposure during his employment and that led to the development of malignant mesothelioma."
Alternatively you can contact our Asbestos Claims team.
All enquiries are completely free of charge and we will investigate all funding options for you including no win, no fee.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
Substantial claim for widow of perfectionist whose work maintaining their home was almost irreplaceable
The Sun reports on Keith Barrett's case of Richard Giles, who died after being electrocuted when his lorry hit 11,000 volt cables