Aymen Khoury, Partner, Dispute Resolution
I am a partner in the Dispute Resolution team.
I deal with a broad range of complex High Court, Court of Appeal and Arbitration commercial/corporate cases often with an international dimension. I have extensive experience of contractual disputes, including misrepresentation claims and disputes relating to share purchase agreements and guarantees, as well as shareholder actions, banking and financial disputes, partnership disputes and professional negligence claims.
My expertise includes various forms of urgent injunctive relief, mediation and cross-border enforcement. I also have particular experience of contractual disputes relating to the enforcement of restrictive covenants and confidential information (including injunctions to enforce covenants and restrain breaches of contract and misuse of confidential information).
My experience includes:
- Acting for a high net worth client to set aside a worldwide freezing order in respect of a claim of conspiracy to divert oil monies valued at over $350 million.
- Acting for a UK company in relation to trade financing arrangements where allegations of fraud led to a claim of US$500m by a leading UAE bank.
- Acting for an investment fund in a claim for damages of over. £100 million against one of the largest UK banks in relation to a repurchase facility provided by the bank.
- Acting for a group of companies owned by a high net worth individual in China to defend a guarantee claim relating to forward freight agreement trades.
- Acting on behalf of a leading manufacturer in Angola on a misrepresentation, misappropriation and breach of fiduciary duties claims which involved the Lebanese, BVI, Angolan, Portuguese and Isle of Man jurisdictions.
- Acting for an international company on multi-jurisdictional claims to restrain the misuse of confidential information by a competitor.
- Acting for individuals in relation to a claim of Missing Trader Intra-Community fraud against HMRC involving c. £10 million.
I am an Arabic speaker who regularly acts for clients from the Middle East and/or work on cases with a connection to the region. I co-founded the Arab Legal Forum of which I am a managing Committee Member. I am also registered to practise in the Courts of the Dubai International Financial Centre.
I have contributed articles to the trade and legal press (including Fraud Intelligence Journal and Company Secretary Review) on various topics. I have authored chapters on litigation risk and reputational risk in Managing Business Risk, a leading textbook on risk management. I also contributed to the second edition of Commercial Enforcement, the leading textbook on methods of enforcement of civil judgments.
Languages spoken: Arabic.
I am a keen sportsman and enjoy the theatre, film, opera and playing drums in my spare time.