As part of an international firm with offices across Europe, Asia and America we have the weight, expertise and reach to deal with commercial disputes of all types and in all sectors. Based in London, we advise clients from the CIS region in their own language: our experienced team of Russian and English speaking litigators has a wealth of collective expertise advising on disputes in a wide variety of cases including High Court litigation, commercial arbitration, investment treaty disputes and relief from sanctions across a range of business sectors and countries.
At the core of our work is litigation and arbitration. We advise clients in disputes arising out of business sales and regularly deal with boardroom and shareholder conflicts. We frequently act for and against suppliers, distributors and retailers in international trade disputes and handle major disputes in construction, transport, energy and telecoms. We also represent our clients in asset and tax investigations, asset tracing, asset freezing and seizure.
We have represented clients in a large number of commercial and investment treaty arbitrations and have extensive experience of handling proceedings under LCIA, ICC, ICSID, SCC and UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules. We have a vastly experienced, dynamic and growing team with particular expertise working on the CIS and Eastern Europe related cases.
We specialise in:
- corporate disputes
- commercial fraud
- corporate crime
- defamation and privacy
- energy and natural resources disputes
- financial and banking disputes
- international commercial and investment treaty arbitration
- international trade disputes
- projects/construction disputes
- restructuring and insolvency litigation
- contentious and non-contentious international sanctions (EU, US & UN)
We are the largest dedicated Russia & CIS Group in the City comprising over 50 dynamic and highly experienced specialists drawn from key practice areas within the firm, out of which over 20 are Russian speakers. To learn more about our Russia & CIS Group, please visit About Russia & CIS Group
Notable deals / highlights
Oil and Gas
- Representing claimant investors in a multibillion Energy Charter Treaty claim under SCC Rules with a Stockholm seat, plus a connected LCIA London seat arbitration, relating to investments made in the key natural resources company of the host State.
- Representing a shareholder of a CIS based oil company in respect of an application to set aside a worldwide freezing order in relation to a claim alleging conspiracy valued at over $350 million.
- Representing a large oil and gas company and related individuals in a series of litigation (High Court) and arbitration (LCIA) proceedings against a top Russian bank in relation to the interpretation of loan agreements and related security documentation including personal guarantees, pledges and indemnities. Total value of claims $500m and counterclaims in excess of $4bn.
- Representing a major CIS oil and gas company in complex, multi-party ICC arbitration proceedings concerning an oil pipeline consortium and oil shipped through the pipeline.
- Advising a CIS based businessman in claims arising in relation to the interpretation and performance of an investment agreement. Approximate value $750m.
Shipping / Aviation
- Representing a claimant investor in a Bilateral Investment Treaty claim under ICSID Rules relating to an investment made in a household name transport business in the host State.
- Representing a shareholder of a major CIS airline in LCIA arbitrations connected with disputes relating to the acquisition of shares in the airline. Approximate value $150m.
- Representing a well-known CIS transport company in litigation in London and Israel, and arbitration in London, in connection with the termination of a supply agreement. Approximate value $100m.
- Acting for the buyers of a fleet of oil tankers in a double London arbitration against the sellers relating to cancellation of the contracts and payment of the purchase price. Approximate value $90m.
Banking / Financial Services
- Representing a CIS based client in an investigation by tax authorities relating to an offshore investment fund. Approximate value $100m.
- Acting for a finance company in defending a claim by a western bank in an LCIA arbitration in respect of a credit contingent swap to hedge interest and exchange rate rise on a UK listed EMTN note proposal. Approximate claim value $46m, the claim was settled for zero.
- Representing CIS clients in obtaining twelve overseas arbitration awards, and then enforcing those awards under the New York Convention against bank accounts/assets in various countries, including the appointment of English liquidators and BVI Receivers.
Real Estate and Construction
- Representing a well-known CIS football club in an ICC arbitration against a German counterparty in disputes arising from the construction of the club's new stadium.
- Acting for claimant investors in four interlinked Bilateral Investment Treaty claims under UNCITRAL Rules, with The Hague as a seat, relating to real estate investments made in the host State.
- Acting for a CIS based client in a construction litigation dispute involving a private residency construction.
Manufacturing / Metals / Minerals / Commodities
- Acting for a group of investment companies and their directors in an LCIA arbitration following non-performance of a sale and purchase contract relating to a CIS based energy business. Approximate value $1bn.
- Acting for a CIS-based business in an LCIA arbitration concerning the sale and purchase of shares in a Russian group of companies in the energy and infrastructure sector. Approximate value $50m.
- Representing a minority investor in a well-known Russian minerals exploration and production company in relation to worldwide litigation regarding share dilution.