Our clients operate in complex environments and require their advisors to be able to navigate through challenging circumstances while helping develop their businesses. Our corporate lawyers understand the demanding business climate in Russia and other CIS countries and our clients benefit from that knowledge as well as our international reach.
We offer legal advice with respect to all corporate activities including establishing, funding, developing, restructuring, acquiring and disposing of businesses across various industries and successfully assist clients in overcoming legal challenges.
We provide focused legal services on full range of topics, such as:
- cross-border M&A transactions, IPOs, joint ventures and restructurings
- corporate governance
- corporate finance transactions
- securities regulatory matters, including advising on market abuse regulations and disclosure requirements for public companies
- shareholder activism
- ant-bribery and money laundering regulations
- antitrust and other regulatory matters
- general commercial matters.
Our team always strives to deliver comprehensive and tailor-made advice to help our clients to achieve their goals and effectively manage risks.
We are the largest dedicated Russia & CIS Group in the City comprising over 50 dynamic and highly experienced specialists drawn from key practice areas within the firm, out of which over 20 are Russian speakers. To learn more about our Russia & CIS Group, please visit About Russia & CIS Group.
Notable deals and highlights
- Advising JSC KazMunaiGas EP, the largest oil and gas company in Kazakhstan, on a number of M&A and joint-venture projects, including:
- a US$1.66 billion acquisition of 50% of Mangistau Investments B.V.;
- a sale of 49% interest in JSC Karpovskiy Severniy to MOL Group; and
- new joint venture arrangements with MOL Group and First International Oil Corporation Group in respect of the production stage of the Fedorovskoe oil field in Kazakhstan;
- Advising JSC KazMunaiGas EP on general corporate matters and issues relating to the listing of its GDRs on the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange;
- Advising JSC Samruk-Kazyna, the sovereign wealth fund of Kazakhstan, on corporate governance and shareholding issues in relation to its significant holdings in FTSE100 companies;
- Advising the shareholders on the sale of 95% of JSC Maten Petroleum, a Kazakh-listed producer of crude oil, for a figure in excess of $500m;
- Advising Gazprom on establishing its UK operations and providing corporate and commercial advice;
- Advising CIS based client on the sale of a banking subsidiary in Georgia;
- Advising a shareholder of a London-listed oil company operating primarily in Russia and Ukraine, on corporate governance and shareholding issues;
- Advising ICICI Bank on the sale of its Russian subsidiary to Sovcombank;
- Advising a shareholder of one of the largest distribution companies in Ukraine, on various matters relating to inter-shareholder relationships;