Our Major Project Planning team can assist with winning all necessary planning & environmental consents and compulsory purchase powers for major development schemes, infrastructure projects, interconnector cables and pipelines, industrial and commercial schemes, large mixed-use development and urban regeneration projects.
We are experts in:
- Development consent orders under the Planning Act 2008;
- Transport and Works Act orders under the Transport and Works Act 1992;
- Major/multi-authority planning applications under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990;
- Consenting procedures for Projects of Common Interest under the European Regulation No 347/2013 on guidelines for trans-European energy infrastructure ('TEN-E Regulation);
- Compulsory purchase orders.
We are trusted advisors to our clients on all aspects of the promotion of these projects, and will tailor our strategy for the approach that is best for you in relation to:
- preliminary scheme design and strategic optioneering;
- management of the consenting and assessment process;
- land assembly, compulsory purchase and land rights negotiations;
- liaison with public bodies and statutory stakeholders;
- public and community consultation;
- auditing compliance with statutory requirements;
- environmental impact assessment;
- conduct of any examinations, inquiries, appeals or challenges.
Under the project management of our Planning lawyers, we can assemble the necessary legal experts from across our Environment, Real Estate, Construction, Dispute Resolution and Public & Regulatory teams. We work closely with our clients' external consultants to ensure the efficient management of risk and avoidance of duplication of work. We do not over-lawyer the legalities and we do not over-engineer the processes.
We also have extensive experience acting for statutory undertakers and utilities affected by major development by third parties, and can advise on the negotiation of appropriate asset protection and conduct of objections to third party applications.
Experience within our team includes:
- Advising on a development consent order for the replacement and tunnelling of a 6km section of high-pressure gas transmission pipeline under the River Humber:
- Advising on a development consent order for the King’s Lynn B Power Station Connection, a 2.8km 400kV overhead electricity transmission line in Norfolk;
- Advising in relation to the planning application and compulsory purchase order for the UK elements of the 700km North Sea Link Interconnector project linking the national electricity grids of Norway and the UK via 1,400MW HVDC subsea cables;
- Advising in relation to 4 major cross-authority planning applications and TEN-E Regulation matters for the UK elements of the 650km Viking Link Interconnector project linking the national electricity grids of Denmark and the UK via 1,400MW HVDC subsea cables;
- Advising in relation to a Transport and Works Act Order for the diversion of a section of railway tunnel that passes through a quarry in Derbyshire, to allow continued working of the quarry;
- Advising on three compulsory purchase orders for the extension of the Brent Cross Shopping Centre and the regeneration of the 151ha Cricklewood regeneration area, the largest such scheme in Europe.