Environmental liability affects all business sectors and all business sizes and for many has become a central risk management issue. The changing requirements of regulatory regimes, the growth of corporate environmental accountability and responsibility and the immediacy of public social media interaction all mean that environmental issues can have a substantial impact on company reputation.
Organisations and their leading individuals therefore need focused, relevant advice to:
- ensure operational or project compliance;
- proactively promote market-leading environmental credentials;
- influence the development of industry best practices; and importantly; and
- manage any incidents (including unsubstantiated issues) with potential for civil and/or criminal liability.
Our specialist environmental team has in-depth experience across the wide range of environmental issues and works closely with the Planning, Major Project Planning, Energy and Natural Resources; Real Estate; Corporate; Competition, Regulatory and Trade; Public and Regulatory; Health and Safety and Dispute Resolution teams across our international network.
We advise a broad range of clients from property investors to energy companies; heavily-regulated manufacturing sectors to local authorities and central Government agencies.
Our Core Environmental Services include:
- Energy and infrastructure projects (including. Major Project Planning and renewables)
- Environmental Impact Assessments
- Transactional due diligence and liability allocation
- Operational compliance, product stewardship and health and safety, contaminated land, remediation and decommission projects
- Environmental permits
- Sustainability (including health and wellbeing of buildings)
- Incident response management
- Enforcement actions and third party claims
- Legislation and policy interpretation
Notable deals and highlights
- Successfully representing a corporate objector to a £400m energy from waste plant objecting on product safety grounds.
- Advising a large petroleum company on liabilities associated with abandoned pipeline apparatus.
- Advising the owner of a former refinery site on the disposal of the asset for major regeneration, including advice on the environmental aspects of the disposal.
- Advising a chemical company on the disposal of a number of former production facilities, including the management and transfer of environmental risk.
- Advising a large industrial manufacturer on the application for, and amendment of, various environmental permits; and assessing environmental liabilities associated with contamination from previous operations.
- Representing an oil and gas company on the first prosecution bought by the Environment Agency for "potential" rather than "actual" damage.