Professional regulatory bodies have a responsibility to the public to ensure that professionals are fit to practise and meet professional standards. Transparency and accountability is essential. We understand the demands placed on such bodies and regularly work with them to ensure they maintain high standards in the professions they regulate and make fair and lawful decisions.
Our team is recognised for its experience in investigating fitness to practise allegations, appearing at tribunals, conducting appeals and judicial reviews, interpreting legislation, advising on the discharge of statutory functions and drafting rules and procedures.
We provide a first-class audit service, used by regulators who wish to have their procedures or processes reviewed by experts familiar with their work and functions, to ensure they are compliant with their regulatory frameworks. We are able to suggest solutions and training to improve performance.
We write rules, prosecute cases, advise and chair panels. The scope of our expertise means we are uniquely placed to advise on any aspect of professional discipline or fitness to practise issues both nationally and internationally.
Our work also has an international reach, and we advise organisations seeking to establish professional regulatory frameworks in other jurisdictions.
We have a breadth of experience in advising professional regulators and those operating in regulated areas across a wide range of sectors including health and social care, care homes, education, law, finance and accountancy, police, sport and property. We have worked with Charter Bodies and non-statutory regulators and have helped new organisations establish registration and accreditation frameworks.
We are proud to be ranked in the top tiers of the leading legal directories, Chambers UK and The Legal 500, for Professional Discipline, and to work for many of the UK's leading regulators.
Legal 500 UK 2014 says that we have 'strong teams with confident lawyers at all levels'.
Notable deals / highlights
- A long-standing relationship with the General Medical Council, under which we have been instructed on a number of high-profile and sensitive fitness to practise cases, including those concerning Dr Bonhoeffer, Dr Wakefield and Dr Michalak.
- Advise various Police and Crime Commissioners (formerly police authorities) on complaints, conduct and discipline matters.
- Managed the criminal prosecution of individuals for 'illegal practise', on behalf of one of the UK's leading healthcare regulators.
- The external legal provider for the Bar Standards Board for professional disciplinary work and advise on complex post-investigation litigation.
- Provide solicitor-advocates to present cases before regulators' tribunals in often complex, technical and highly contentious cases.