Franchising is a dynamic tool for business expansion, enabling a business to grow faster and further by combining the power of the brand and the concept against the capital, experience and entrepreneurial enthusiasm of the franchisee.
Our franchising team, as the largest dedicated franchise practice in the UK, is uniquely positioned to help you structure, establish, manage and grow your franchise in an ever-changing legal and commercial environment.
We have been advising franchisors and franchisees for over 30 years, meaning that we have a deep understanding of franchising and the various commercial and legal issues which impact directly or indirectly on the franchise relationship.
We manage global roll outs on behalf of our clients using our unique network of local offices and affiliated law firms, carefully selected by us to ensure the franchise agreements take account of any mandatory local laws and are enforceable in the local jurisdiction.
Our clients range from start-ups through to multi-national and listed companies, across a variety of sectors, including fashion, retail, food & beverage, services, hospitality and leisure, healthcare and education.
We strive to build long term relationships with our clients, developing and delivering innovative and bespoke legal services for each stage of their growth.
To find out more on how we can support franchising your business, please view our Franchise Services page.
Of course, we know that franchising is just one possible option. Our franchise lawyers advise clients on all aspects of commercial development and brand exploitation, including manufacturing and licensing, supply chain development, import/export regulation, wholesale, distribution, concessions, agency, strategic alliances and e-commerce. Our commercial contracts team is top ranked by the Legal 500.
Please see our Agency, distribution and multi-channel strategies page.
Notable deals / highlights
- We advised a global coffee brand on all aspects of the invention and launch of its franchising business in the UK. Working with top management teams from both the UK business and the US, this involved not only the legal work but advising on all commercial, business modelling and management issues related to the project. We have since advised on adaptations to the franchise model, international expansion into the EMEA region and implementing digital and mobile payments systems.
- We advise a UK luxury fashion retail brand in respect of its international development, including franchising, concessions, distribution, ecommerce rights and licensing requirements. Our brand protection team manages the global trade mark portfolio and the advertising and marketing team has advised on celebrity endorsement arrangements and several high-profile modelling relationships.
- We advised a US hotel management company entering the European market, preparing model management agreements and assisting with the acquisition of a number of European management companies working with most leading hotel brand owners.
- We advise a UK independent school on its international expansion through franchising. Schools are increasingly using franchise models to tap into a significant and growing demand from parents in certain markets for high quality, English-speaking schools which can help their children to secure places at English-speaking universities.
- We act for a UK provider of domiciliary care and have assisted them with managing and growing its large mature network of franchisees. We have advised on resolving franchisee disputes, renewals, exits and acquisitions.