Unusually, Fieldfisher is a firm which can offer class leading FS regulatory and technology law expertise which help firms deal with all manner of FinTech opportunities and challenges.
We act for a wide variety of institutions, FinTech businesses, new start-up and crowdfunding platforms, helping them develop and exploit new markets. Because we understand and work in these markets, we can provide practical advice on project disciplines, issues arising from new technologies, factors affecting investment in new technologies and emerging best practice. Our insights can help manage your risks and minimise the uncertainty that new and complex technologies bring with them.
For regulated firms
We can help them stay at the forefront of new technologies from mobile applications and mobile payment through to data analytics and on-line issues. We advise from regulatory feasibility stage to the development and testing of new technologies and ensure all aspects of compliance are covered. Our expertise in identifying and managing risk and our understanding of how to navigate the regulatory maze enable our clients to deploy advanced technologies faster and more securely.
The use of technology by financial institutions continues to be on the rise. Deploying better and more intelligent systems can deliver better customer experience, higher customer monetisation, savings on service delivery and better control of risk. Getting technology deployment right is of course vital and getting it wrong can be costly both in fixing the issues, dealing with customer consequences and regulatory consequences.
Firms and their service providers need to manage innovation and resilience hand in hand to survive and gain competitive advantage in the modern markets.
For FinTech companies
Our detailed understanding of innovative technologies and the regulatory landscape allows us to support entry and growth into the financial services market. We advise on compliance issues and customer negotiations. This close operational understanding also allows us to help when it comes to funding and growth, with our corporate specialists very much part of our FinTech team.
For further details of particular areas which may be of interest in the FinTech space, please see the services available in the following areas:
- Advising UPG plc (an electronic payment processor) on its terms and conditions of trade, its acquisition of Payment Company gmbh (a German payment processing company) and its separate acquisition of Accept Cards Limited (an electronic payment solutions provider).
- Advising RBC Capital Markets on a secondary fundraising involving a placing of new shares in AIM listed Globo PLC, raising approximately 24 million (net of expenses). The funds raised will be used by Globo to accelerate its mobile apps platform, Go!Enterprise , in the US and Western Europe and expand its Mobility Business Solutions division.
- Advising the shareholders of Currencies Direct on the Corporate and FS regulatory aspects of the £300m sale of this foreign exchange payments business, to Palamon Capital Partners and Corsair Capital.
- Advising a major investment based crowdfunding site on how best to expand its regulatory position to suit its developing business needs.
- Advice to crowdfunding platform Crowdbnk on its establishment and business model.
- Advising an advisory platform offering wrap solutions to its adviser members on structuring and regulatory issues.
- Advising on an insurance company and asset management subsidiary on outsourcing of all investment management to a mainstream player and related transfer of wrap products and clients to a platform offering.
- Acting for Charles Stanley Securities on the placing of ordinary shares by AIM and ESM listed company First Derivatives plc, a provider of software and consulting services to the capital markets industry, raising £13.3m.