Clear and proactive thinking is essential in international trade matters, whether in relation to trade defence, customs issues, export controls and sanctions compliance, or preferential trade agreement negotiations. In the area of non-tariff regulatory barriers, it is critical to be able to recognise a regulatory regime that is not WTO-compliant and to knowhow to address it effectively. Conversely, well-structured regulation can assist in heading off unfair competition.
Understanding your business is central to our approach, and our close contact with the relevant authorities is invaluable in guiding you through any given trade matter. With extensive experience working with regulators, our lawyers know what works and what doesn’t. We will work with you on strategic decisions during regulatory proceedings and maintain contacts with the regulators, whilst striving to achieve the best possible outcome.
Regulatory investigations and other procedures can quickly develop their own momentum and involve work that is sometimes counter to other key business goals and priorities. We work to maximise control of any engagement with the regulatory authorities. Through close collaboration with in-house teams, we maintain alignment of the regulatory goals with your commercial interests.
Our services include advising on the feasibility and likely effect of making dumping or other trade complaints; making and resisting applications for interim relief; drafting submissions to relevant authorities; data analysis and drafting presentations to key decision-makers; securing protection from disclosure for confidential information; preparation for and handling of verification visits by regulatory authorities; preparation and representation at hearings and follow-up contacts; and advising on and conducting administrative and judicial challenges and appeals.
We have acted for complainants, exporting producers, users, importers, trade associations, governments and other interested parties in trade and customs disputes, the development of trade legislation, export control and sanction compliance matters, and other trade-related regulatory matters.
Notable deals / highlights
- Represented EU producers in a number of high-profile trade cases, including the largest cases ever, the ongoing anti-dumping and anti-subsidy investigations of solar panel imports from China.
- Successfully challenged EU trade defence decisions through judicial review before the EU courts, and obtained favourable preliminary rulings on customs issues raised to EU level by national courts.
- Advised clients on additions and amendments to EU trade legislation, as well as to EU regulatory legislation (e.g. product safety, chemicals, environmental) having an impact on imports.
- Assisted companies in various sectors with export control and sanctions compliance matters, including in-house training and contacts with the competent authorities.
- Assisted major European importers with a broad range of EU customs issues, including classification, origin and valuation, as well as OLAF investigations and post-clearance recovery matters.