European chemicals regulation is in a constant state of flux and its impact is far-reaching. Our dedicated team of experts, including former ECHA and Commission officials and lawyers from more than 10 jurisdictions, can assist by delivering commercial, legal and pragmatic solutions to the complex issues that you face.
Our core areas of expertise are REACH, biocides, pesticides, CLP Regulation, WEEE and RoHS. Whether you need guidance on regulatory compliance (including antitrust issues), product safety and registration, communication with the regulatory authorities, data sharing, breach of contractual and legal requirements, dispute resolution (including mediation and arbitration) or litigation (both private party disputes and private party/public authority disputes), we can help.
Our teams across our offices have expert knowledge of the relevant laws, and deep insight into how the EU and international institutions work.
Our agrochemical practice is complemented by our additional expertise in food and food packaging, in particular product compliance, safety, liability and defence issues from farm to work. We also advise on international trade and customs matters, including export controls and economic sanctions.
Companies, industry associations and Task Forces in the agrochemical industry and beyond, including cosmetics, clothing, apparel and retail, medical and pharmaceuticals, whether based in Europe, North America, South America or Asia, can rely on our expert industry knowledge and our ability to work across jurisdictions.
Chambers Europe (2011) describes us as a "fabulous team – innovative, creative, aggressive in a good way, responsive and efficient" and "one of the best groups in Belgium for European chemicals law work."
Notable deals / highlights
- EU Silver Task Force – set up and managed the European Silver Task Force, and defended all notified silver form/product type combinations in the EU review program.
- Successfully represented our client in the first appeal filed with the ECHA Board of Appeal under REACH.
- Filed ground-breaking annulment actions before the European General Court against Commission Regulations adopted under REACH (for clients such as PPG EEIG).
- Litigation before the European General Court against the "candidate listing" of chemicals under the REACH Regulation.
- Contacts and meetings with ECHA and Member State Competent Authorities to represent our clients' interests related to registration dossiers, enforcement procedures, or obtaining confirmation of specific status for our clients.